Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Tobasco Sauce Stinging Irony Of The Black Male Athlete Divorcing His Trophy White Wife

I must confess that I strive and hope to continue to live a life that were charges to be brought, that said charges would convict me of being a ‘Traditional Christian’ – I say this to juxtapose what I am about to discus about Black male athletes marrying white women. As a Christian, love has no barriers nor should it, but we know that we seldom see female White athletes of any stripes marrying Black men. Those of us who watch race relations know that we should not make the mistake of equating President’s Obama ascent to the pinnacle of power to think that, mostly White America, has changed on its outlook when it comes to interracial relationships, especially those between the White women and Black men. Let’s be honest, I dare surmise that Erin would not have married Tiger Woods nor would there have been unions between most White wives, unless the Black husbands were wealthy citizens of note.

Can anyone honestly see Maria Sharapova, Danica Patrick, or any of the A-list White actresses of note being married to a Black man – don’t answer, the query was rhetorical. Now, as someone who has walked the halls of academia, I know that many such hook-ups, though on the ‘down-low,’ are rampant. But the truth is that there is still a Teflon taboo, especially among many of my White brothers and sisters, associated with such mixed unions… even though the taboo feelings are more tacit than in the past. I have not done a scientific study nor do I know of any, but I am going to hazard a guess that when White wives like Tiger Wood divorce these Black athletes, they subsequent relationships are with White men.

The irony is that, although Tiger Woods wife had ample cause to divorce him, some White man, more than likely, will be raising his children and spending that huge divorce settlement loot in the near future. To measure the barometer of race relation in this country, look to see if there are interracial relationships on the screen between A-list actresses and Black men – moreover, see if you will ever see a Black man doing to any big time White actress what Billy-Bob-Thornton did to Halle Berry in the movie, “Monster’s Ball.” I am barely fourscore, but I am certain that even were I to live to be a hundred, you will never see the White female athletes or any White women of note… dating or marrying Black men. In the mean time, you will see the opposite and if it is borne out of love, great.

You ever noticed that on the Bachelorette reality shows you have to look hard to find the token Black guy, if any, being among the competitors as a suitor for the White lady? To further capture and expound on my premise… can anyone who will read this blog ever imagine seeing Taylor Swift with a Black man being her lover in one of her videos – and mind you, this scenario will only be acting.
-Verily Prime

No comments:

Post a Comment