Sunday, September 5, 2010

JLO For American Idol – What, Milli Vanilli Not Available?

I must confess that most of my blogs on current pop culture, I have do a lot of research or get an assist from my wife or little sister – however, American Idol is a show that I actually watch because my daughter and wife love it. With that said, I feel that I am more than qualified to chime in the contestants rumored to be vying to be part of the Idol’s judge’s panel. I have heard, via the Los Angeles Times, that the Idol producers are looking at Stephen Tyler, the raspy voice gifted front man of Aerosmith - that I could live with, but JLo? What?! That’s like having Paris Hilton visiting James Lipton at “Inside The Actor’s Studio” or OJ teaching anger management.

The fans should have the producers of American Idol insist that the new judges for American Idol be musicians: have JLo sing a song without the benefit of lip syncing. If indeed JLo is negotiating with the Idol’s producers for one of the opened judge’s vacancy, I say, nyet. “What makes “Jenny From The Block” qualify to be an Idol judge? Yes, she has “nough back,” but what about a voice? … what about being able to mentor the kids on pitch, range, cadence, etc,? I supposed that the water was muddied when they chose past judges like Paula Abdul and Ellen Generes, but at least Abdul knows the craft by theory and that she was the perfect foil for the less than charming Cowell. I would be remised not to convey that Simon Cowell is an accomplished music producer.

I know one of the members of Milli Vanilli is dead, but you might as well choose the surviving member to fill one of Idol’s vacancies. I mean he lip sync, but he does it better than JLo’s actual singing. Let’s be honest, JLo is only negotiating for this gig because her career trajectory is going south - it is rumored that Jessica Simpson wanted the position too and the Idol producers eighty-sixed that suggestion – For God’s sake, do the same to JLo’s inquiries, if indeed she is interested in one of the American Idol’s vacant judgeship. There are great seasoned artists out there to be added: Patti Labelle; Gladys Night; Smokey Robinson; Steven Tyler; Steve Perry; David Bowie: Diana Ross; Katy Lang; Sined O’Connor; Pat Benatar, Cyndi Lauper – I could go on and on – but please, not JLo!

No comments:

Post a Comment