Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The United States Military Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell

There are those who are gay or those who are well read will tell you that great military strategists, including Alexander The Great, were gay. Whether those who are gay readily provide this information to validate their lifestyle is of no consequence on the protracted debate we are now having on whether gays should openly serve in the United States military. It may be laughable to prevent someone who is willing to pay the ultimate price from serving his or her country over their personal lifestyle choice, but that is the reality. Perhaps, it is prudent to hear from someone like myself who is a heterosexual and who have served in the military - my take on the issue might be akin to many who have served and are now serving… and this is maybe the reason for the drawn out debate on the Army’s policy of ‘don’t ask, don’t tell.’

When I served in the Army in Germany, I was assigned to the Mechanize Infantry and at least three times a year, we had to go to the German forest for two long months of training. We would sleep in pup tents, two men assigned to said tent… with seldom any room, but for the sleeping bags, lighting, and your M-16 weapon. Now, that I have set this up, imagine my pup tent buddy being openly gay… think of the ribbing, think of the angst, that I would have to endure... even though it may be borne out of ignorance, it is still will be there - this is the culture that is causing the protracted debate and reluctance to do away with the United States Military policy of ‘don’t ask, don’t tell.’ 

Close to a decade ago, I recalled reading where the Navy implemented a new experimental rule of having females station on the submarines - I am told that over half of the women were soon pregnant, shortly thereafter. No, I am not saying that those who are not gay and are in the pup tent with someone who is gay will be tempted to switch sides, but the former will start thinking and mistaking gestures, etc, from the latter… and this will cause consternation in the ranks. Let me be honest, I have a daughter and when she is of age and if she decides to join the Armed Forces, I will not want her to be in an infantry setting… like how I was… sharing a pup tent with a man.  

Is this fair to our gay brothers and sisters who want to serve their country- No! But that is the reality of the situation… void of logic and probably runs afoul of our Constitutional principles. I have always found it ironic that it was a Democrat President (Clinton) who enacted what is to many Liberals… so an egregious a policy to personal liberty. My take on this issue might be moot for now… in light of the seismic changes brought about by the recent Mid-Term Elections, where both houses of the legislative power in Washington, D.C. may leave the U.S. military policy of ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ as is.  

No comments:

Post a Comment